- St. Michael-Albertville Schools
- Annual Notices
Annual Notification of Rights [Policy 515]
Contents of Notice:
The school district shall give parents of students currently in attendance and eligible students currently in attendance annual notice by such means as are reasonably likely to inform the parents and eligible students of the following:
• that the parent or eligible student has a right to inspect and review the student’s education records and the procedure for inspecting and reviewing education records;
• that the parent or eligible student has a right to seek amendment of the student’s education records to ensure that those records are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights and the procedure for requesting amendment of records;
• that the parent or eligible student has a right to consent to disclosures of personally identiﬁable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that federal and state law and the regulations promulgated thereunder authorize disclosure without consent;
• that the parent or eligible student has a right to ﬁle a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education regarding an alleged failure by the school district to comply with the requirements of FERPA, and the rules promulgated thereunder;
• the criteria for determining who constitutes a school ofﬁcial and what constitutes a legitimate educational interest for purposes of disclosing education records to other school ofﬁcials whom the school district has determined to have legitimate educational interests; and
• that the school district forwards education records on request to a school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll or intends to enroll as long as the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer and that such records may include suspension and expulsion records pursuant to the federal No Child Left Behind Act and, if applicable, a student’s history of violent behavior.
Notification to Parents of Students Having a Primary Home Language Other Than English
The school district shall provide for the need to effectively notify parents of students identified as having a primary or home language other than English.
Notification to Parents or Eligible Students Who are Disabled
The school district shall provide for the need to effectively notify parents or eligible students identified as disabled.
Copies of this or any other board policy may be obtained by parents and eligible students here, or at the office of the Superintendent.