The St. Michael-Albertville School District 885 Mentorship program provides guidance and support for teachers new to our district.
Our mission is to improve the quality of instruction and student learning through mentoring relationships by providing experiences that foster the professional and personal growth of teachers.
- Address needs and concerns of teachers new to the district
- Improve classroom teaching skills, teacher performance, and student achievement
- Familiarize new teachers with the norms and expectations of the school, district, and their profession
- Promote and support professional well-being and career development
- Increase the retention of all teachers within the district
- Expose teachers to best practice strategies for improvement of student achievement
Probationary teachers participate in three years of professional development and mentorship activities as described below.
For questions concerning STMA's Mentorship Program, please contact Molly Jerpseth, Curriculum & Mentorship Coordinator.
New Teacher Workshop Days in August provide teachers with important district-level information ranging from instructional support to health care benefits.
New teachers are assigned a colleague who will serve as a mentor, coach, and professional friend during the first year. Regular monthly meetings will be scheduled.
New teachers will attend four Professional Development Sessions led by the District Mentorship Coordinator.
New teachers receive support at a building-level as well as district-level via meetings with Building Mentorship Representatives and Instructional Coaches.
Probationary teachers will participate in one peer observation including a pre/post reflection with the Site Mentorship Representative or District Mentorship Coordinator.
Probationary teachers will attend three Professional Development Study Sessions led by the Mentorship Coordinator.
Probationary teachers receive support at a building-level as well as district-level via meetings with Site Mentorship Representatives.
Probationary teachers will participate in three Professional Development Lesson Reflection sessions facilitated by the District Mentorship Coordinator.
Probationary teachers will continue to receive support from the District Mentorship Coordinator.