Experiencing housing instability is difficult. At STMA, we want to help take some of the stress off of you. We have Homeless Liaisons in every building under the direction of our Special Services Department. They want to make sure your child(ren) have uninterrupted access to school, transportation, and food.
What is Homelessness?
Homelessness is defined as "One who lacks a fixed, regular, adequate nighttime residence." This includes:
- SHELTERED: emergency/transitional shelters
- UNSHELTERED: living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned building; not regular sleeping places
- DOUBLED-UP: sharing housing due to loss of housing, economic hardship or a similar reason
If I/my family is experiencing homelessness, what are my rights?
- You have the right to uninterrupted schooling for your child(ren) either in the school you were in when the homelessness began (school of origin) or in the school district where you are currently staying.
- You have the right to free transportation for your child(ren) either to the school of origin or the school where you currently are staying.
- You have the right to free breakfasts and lunches for your child(ren) every school day.
- You have the right to any services your child qualifies for. (Speech, Special Education)
- You have the right to request services from the school's counselor.
- Additionally, STMA has partnered with Sheridan Story to provide weekend meals for students who are experiencing food instability.
If I/my family are in this situation, what do I do? What if I am unsure?
Contact your building's Homeless Liaison or the Special Services Manager. They will work with you to determine your eligibility and get you connected with all of the services you need.
Special Services Manager: Amy Larkin firstname.lastname@example.org
Albertville Primary Liaison: Bethany Nordby email@example.com
Big Woods Liaison: Andrew Kelly firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Michael Elementary Liaison: Erin Peterson email@example.com
Middle School East: David Holler firstname.lastname@example.org
Middle School West: LJ Jennissen email@example.com
High School A-E: Angela Narducci firstname.lastname@example.org
High School F-La: Meghan Pettis email@example.com
High School Le-Rh: Valerie Williams firstname.lastname@example.org
High School Ri-Z: Kinsey Essler email@example.com
Knights' Academy: Mark Jansen firstname.lastname@example.org
Vision: School stability for every child.