Thank you for choosing to sub at STMA! We are excited to welcome you into our buildings and classrooms.
Below you will find helpful information and resources that you can reference throughout your substitute employment with us. For any questions or concerns, please reach out to Becca Heuring, Human Resources Specialist at (763) 497-6532.
Teachers, Paraprofessionals and Food Service Substitutes
Teachers, paraprofessionals inside and outside of the classroom, and food service substitutes will be able to search for and select assignments using the SmartFind substitute management system when permanent staff members are absent. This online system allows you to set up your own preferences in terms of building locations, availability and classification. In addition to using the website to find assignments, SmartFind will also call you directly with assignment information in the mornings or evenings by phone.
Custodial substitutes will receive phone calls directly from Terry Zerwas, Director of Buildings & Grounds, for substitute assignments.
- You will be expected to stay for the entire scheduled shift unless you have discussed a change with the office.
- Upon check-in at the buildings, you may be asked to turn in your car keys in order to obtain a school key.
- You may be asked to sub in another classroom over your scheduled prep time.
- If school is cancelled or delayed, STMA will notify news stations by 6:00am.
Teachers, Paraprofessionals and Clerical Substitutes
Classroom and office substitute positions are generally required to dress in business casual dress, although jeans and Knights spirit wear are acceptable on Fridays.
- When working in physical education, exercise clothes are permitted
- When working in special education programs, comfortable clothing and tennis shoes are permitted
Food Service Substitutes
The kitchens can get warm so please dress comfortably for warmer environments.
- A polo or plain short-sleeved shirt is recommended.
- Light pants such as Khakis (tan, blue or black in color) are also recommended. Jeans are allowed, however, you may find that they are too hot to wear in the kitchens.
- Shoes need to be leather and closed-toed, such as tennis shoes or non-skid brand shoes.
- A hair restraint such as a visor or cap must be worn. The kitchens will have hair nets available if you do not have a visor or cap.
- Aprons will be provided by the kitchens.
- Keep fingernails trimmed and without polish. False nails are not permitted in the kitchens.
- Hair should be pulled back or pinned up.
- Perfume and jewelry is not permitted. A plain wedding band is allowed but not recommended.
Custodial substitutes will complete a variety of tasks on their shifts, some of which may require cleaning, so comfortable clothing is highly recommended. T-shirts, jeans and tennis shoes that can (and most likely will) get dirty are preferred.
During the winter, some substitute assignments may require time outside, whether that is crossing guard duty, parking lot supervision or recess. Custodial assignments may require shoveling snow out of the paths of doorways. You will receive notification if your assignment requires outside time, but it may be helpful to keep hats, mittens, scarves, boots, etc. in your vehicle on the cold and snowy days.
Helpful Links and Resources
Substitute Teacher Licensure and Preparation
Smart Board Operation How-To Video
For assignment questions or cancellations due to illness or unforeseen circumstances, please call the building directly using the information below.
Albertville Primary: (763) 497-2688
Big Woods Elementary: (763) 497-8025
Fieldstone Elementary: (763) 497-0904
St. Michael Elementary: (763) 497-4882
Middle School East: (763) 497-2655
Middle School West: (763) 497-2688
High School: (763) 497-2192
Knights Academy: (763) 497-2688
Mark Jansen, Knights Academy Principal
Food Service: (763) 497-3180
Maintenance: (612) 221-6601
Transportation: (763) 497-3180
Sandie Chrobak, Special Services Coordinator