Frequently Asked Questions

  • Is my child eligible for Kindergarten?
    To be eligible to attend kindergarten in September 2021, your child must be 5 years old on or before September 1, 2021.

    My child will not be five until after September 1, 2021.  Can she/he still attend kindergarten in 2021-2022?
    See STMA's "Kindergarten Early Admission" Policy (school board policy #550) on the STMA website or call the Primary office for more information.

    What will a typical day look like?
    The kindergarten day will have numerous opportunities to develop students' cognitive, social, and emotional skills.  All Students will have a morning meeting and choice time.  A strong emphasis will be placed on language arts and math.  Students will also have science, social studies, and health.  Specials include PE (3x/6 days), music (2x/6 days), art (1x/6 days), media (1x/6 days), S.M.A.R.T. (1x/6 days), and computer (1x/6 days).  In addition, students will have a daily lunch period, a milk/snack break, and a 30-minute recess.

    What are the hours for kindergarten?
    Kindergarten is 7:45 - 2:00 pm.  If students do not ride the bus they may be dropped off after 7:20 am. Students need to be in their rooms by the last bell which is 7:45 am. Please do not drop children off at the last minute as they need time to get to their rooms and unpack before the last bell rings.

    Is childcare (Kid's Play) offered before and after school?
    Kid's Play is the district before and after school childcare.  Kid's Play is available at the Community Education (CE) building starting at 6:00 am.  Kindergarten students are bussed to the Primary from CE in the morning.  Kid's Play is after school at the Primary School starting from 2:00 PM until 6:00 PM.  For more information contact Lisa Becker, Kid's Play coordinator, at 763-497-6550 x5513.

    My child currently has an IEP in preschool; what process do I follow so services are seamless?
    Drop off or mail a copy of your child's IEP to the Primary office.  A special education staff member will contact you after reviewing the IEP.

    I am not sure if my child is ready for kindergarten.  How do I tell?
    All students who are five on or before September 1, 2021, are eligible to attend kindergarten. Factors that affect kindergarten readiness include birthdate, gender, and attendance at a preschool.  Parents are the best judge of whether their child is ready for kindergarten.  If in doubt, check out basic kindergarten readiness skills that have been recognized as contributing to success in school on the Albertville Primary website (look for the "Kindergarten Readiness" link ).  We will be happy to answer your questions to help you make the right decision.

    My child can already read.  How will you meet his/her needs?
    All kindergarten teachers are trained in differentiation and work with students in individual or small groups at their level.  Students are benchmarked as soon as possible and are placed in flexible groups based on their instructional reading level.  Students move between groups as they progress throughout the year.  Also, our main library has a wealth of material for readers, as well as several reading programs on the computer.  Research indicates students are best identified for high potential programming in third grade.

    How do I open enroll my child into the St. Michael-Albertville district?
    To initiate, the process, contact Albertville Primary School office at 763-497-2688 and request open enrollment forms.  Forms can be mailed or emailed.

    Can I drive my child to school?
    All students who reside in the district are transported to kindergarten regardless of their address.  Parents are encouraged to have their children ride the bus.  However, parents can drop their child off at the school via the "drop off lane" (lane closest to the building along the curb).  A staff member will open your vehicle door and help your child enter the building.  Parents can also park in the parking lot and walk their child into the building.

    Can my child go home different ways on certain days of the week?
    The safety of your child is our number one priority.  Consistency is the key to ensuring the safety of your child.  Going home one way is strongly encouraged.  Each time your child is not going home in the usual manner, parents or guardians must contact the teacher regarding the change.  If there is no contact, the child will be sent home in the usual manner.

    When do students receive their teacher assignment and supply list?
    The current supply list is on the Primary website.  An updated supply list for next year's kindergarteners will be posted online by early June. Teacher assignment letters are mailed in early August.

    What is the typical class size in kindergarten?
    Our goal is to have class sizes of approximately 20-21.  Class size is dependent on budget and student enrollment.

    I am not sure if my child has the stamina to attend school all day.
    The start of the school year is an adjustment period for most students.  Teachers understand that it takes time to build stamina for being in school all day.  During this transition time, teachers incorporate frequent transitions and provide extra motor breaks for students.

    What is ParentVue?
    ParentVue is a communication tool that allows parents to check attendance, grades, discipline, library records, and health records via the internet.  ParentVue login information will be made available to parents with their kindergarten teacher assignment in August.

    Can parents volunteer in classrooms?
    Parents are welcome and encouraged to volunteer!  Teachers generally invite parents to volunteer after the first six weeks of school when routines have been established.  For the safety of students and staff, all volunteers are required to complete and pay for district background checks.

    How do I get a background check so I can volunteer?
    STMA requires a one-time background check, completed by St. Michael-Albertville School District for classroom volunteers and chaperones.  Background checks cost $15.  Information will be kept confidential.  The background checks and the results follow your child through their STMA educational career, so once you have been approved, you will be cleared to volunteer in the future.  To start the process, send an email with your full name, email address, and phone number to  You will receive an email from the district office with a link to Trusted Employees, the district's background check company.  If you do not have access to a computer or credit card, please contact the district office at 763-497-3180 x5180.


    If you have more registration questions please refer to our District Kindergarten Registration page.

Health Questions

  • Does my child need to receive immunizations to attend kindergarten?
    Minnesota Immunization Law states that all students must submit documentation of immunizations before starting Kindergarten.  There are two situations where your child would not need to receive immunizations:

    1. A medical exemption, the immunization is contraindicated for medical reasons or laboratory confirmation of adequate Immunity exists; your physician must sign and date the medical exemption portion of the Pupil Immunization record (2-A on the back of the Student Immunization Form). 
    2. A Conscientious exemption, the immunization is contrary to your beliefs;  write the immunizations you object to, sign, and date the conscientious exemption portion of the Pupil Immunization Record (2-B on the back of the Student Immunization Form) and have it notarized.

    Do I need to write the dates in the boxes of the Student Immunization Form?
    If you have a copy of your child's immunization record from the clinic, you can submit a copy of that and you do not need to write the dates in the boxes.

    Does the Student Immunization form need to be signed?
    Yes, If your child has received all of the immunizations required for kindergarten entrance, you can sign the form (1_A on the back of the Student Immunization form); or it can be signed by a physician or clinic employee (1-A on the back of the Student Immunization form).  If your child has not received all of the immunizations required for kindergarten entrance, a physician or clinic employee must sign the form (1_A on the back of the Student Immunization form).

    Do I need to provide month, day, and year for each immunization?
    Yes.  The Minnesota Immunization Law requires the month, day, and yeat for each immunization reported.

    There are two boxes for the Varicella vaccine, should my child have received two Varicella vaccines?
    Yes, unless your child has had the chickenpox disease (see below).

    If my child has had the chickenpox disease, does he/she still need the Varicella vaccine?
    No.  If your child has had the chickenpox disease, his/her physician must write the year he/she had chickenpox, sign and date the history of varicella disease section of the Student Immunization form (2-A on the back of the Student Immunization form).

    If my child's birthday isn't until July or August, should I wait until then to make an appointment for his/her Kindergarten immunizations?
    No.  Clinics only make a limited number of well-child appointments per day and they are very busy in July and August with kindergarten physicals and sports physicals.  Children can receive their kindergarten immunizations prior to their 5th birthday.

    Is a physical required?
    The parent portion (the front side of the History and Physical Examination Form) is required.  The physician is not required; it is however recommended.  If your child has already received all of his/her immunizations for kindergarten entrance, submit the form without the physical portion completed.  If your child has not received all of his/her immunizations for kindergarten entrance, please bring the form with you to your child's immunization appointment and ask the physician to complete it.  If your clinic provides you with a different physical form, that is fine.  If your child receives his/her immunizations from Public Health or the Minute Clinic, you do need to make a separate physician appointment for the physical form.

    When should I submit the Pupil Immunization Record to the school?
    As soon as your child has received all of his/ her kindergarten immunizations.  We must receive the Pupil Immunization Record by August 11.

    Does my child need to complete Early Childhood Screening?
    Minnesota law requires all children to complete Early Childhood Screening before entering Kindergarten (unless the parent conscientiously objects to the screening).  It is done before the child's 4th birthday.  If you child competed Early Childhood Screening at STMA, his/her Early Childhood Screening record will be sent to Albertville Primary.  If your child completed Early Childhood Screening in another school district or through Head Start, call Heather at 763-497-4882, ext. 92006;  she will request the record be sent to Albertville Primary.  If you conscientiously object to Early Childhood Screening, send a letter to the school stating you conscientiously object to Early Childhood Screening.  If your child has not completed Early Childhood Screening, call Heather to schedule an appointment.

    My child has a chronic health condition, how will it be managed at school?
    Please call Julie Winkelman, the school district nurse, at 763-497-6520 to discuss your child's chronic condition.  A Questionaire will be sent to you regarding your child's chronic condition. A health care plan will be developed.

Transportation Questions

  • Why does my child have to transfer from one bus to another?
    Due to similar start and end times at Big Woods, STME, Fieldstone, Albertville Primary, and the Catholic School. The bus that picks up in your area is picking up students from multiple schools.  In order to arrive at the school on time, some buses transfer their students to another bus at one of the schools.  This saves a great deal of time because it eliminates a stop from a bus route.  At the end of the day, not all of the buses can pick up at the Primary and Parish schools.  The buses that do pick up students at these schools proceed to one of the elementary schools and transfer the students to the appropriate buses.  The majority of students do not have to transfer but those who do will transfer to and from the same buses every day.

    If my child has to transfer, how will they find the right bus?
    If a bus has students transfer, if will park near the bus that it is transferring students to.  The students that are transferring are allowed off of the bus first and walk in a line to the next bus.  The bus driver watches to make sure that all of their students board the second bus.  The elementary schools also have staff members outside who monitor the loading and unloading of students.

    If my child is having problems with the other children on the bus, what should I do?
    If an incident occurs on the bus, encourage your child to inform the bus driver.  If it is an immediate concern, please call the bus company so that they can investigate the situation and take appropriate action.


Breakfast & Lunch Questions


    Is breakfast provided?

    Breakfast is provided free of charge to all students. Breakfast is served from 7:20 - 7:40 daily. 

    What is MySchoolBucks?
    MySchoolBucks is a convenient and secure online payment service.  MySchoolBucks allows you to deposit money at no charge directly into your student's lunch account and view balance/purchase information for the past ninety days.  You can also set up email reminders when your student's balances become low.  Online payments are credited to the account within the hour they were made unless they are made during the meal service time.  If made during meal service time their account will then be credited after meal service is done.  More information regarding the MySchoolBucks system may be found on the district website. Directions to set up your account will be mailed in August along with your child's student ID.

    How do I put money in my child's lunch account?
    Parents are encouraged to use MySchoolBucks to deposit money into their child's lunch account.  Lunches can also be paid via cash or check.  Money and checks should be placed in a sealed envelope and labeled with your child's full name, student ID number, teacher's name, and the purpose for which the money is being sent.

    What is an Application for Educational Benefits (Free & Reduced Application)?
    If you are at or below the current income eligibility guidelines you are encouraged to fill out an Application for Educational Benefits.  Your family may be eligible for free lunches.  You can apply anytime during the school year.

    How do I get a Free and Reduced Application?
    Free and reduced applications can be found on the district website at www., under Food & Nutrition.  You can also contact Tammy Beack at 763-497-3180 ext. 95128 to have one mailed to you.

    How will I know if I qualify for free or reduced lunches?
    You will receive a results letter in the mail, which can take up to two weeks.

    My results letter says we qualify for reduced lunches.  Why does it say lunches will be free?
    New in 2014, if your child or children are approved for reduced-price lunch, they will receive free lunches.  This change is for meal benefits only.  It does not include extracurricular activities.

    If there isn't any money in my child's account can she/he charge a lunch?
    Charging is not permitted.  School District 885 Policy #730 states that "Students will not be allowed to charge a meal at any time."  Students, parents or guardians in grades K-12 will be contacted via phone, letter, or email when their lunch account balance is $5.00 or less.  If a students' account balance is at $0.00 or a negative balance, they will be offered a cheese sandwich, fresh fruit, fresh vegetable, and milk.  Lunch transactions and balances may be viewed in MySchoolBucks under the Food & Nutrition section of the district website.

    What if my child does not drink milk?
    Requests for soy, water, juice (fruit or vegetable), etc. will not be provided because they do not meet the nutritional guidelines established by the USDA.

    What is my child is lactose intolerant?
    As a school district, we provide lactose-free milk to students who are lactose intolerant and participate in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP), School Breakfast Program (SBP), and Afterschool Care Program (ASCP), Special Milk Program and Minnesota Kindergarten Milk Program.  A doctor's note is not required.  If you would like your child to receive lactose-reduced milk, please submit a lactose-free milk request form to your school nurse.  

    What if my child has a life-threatening food allergy?
    Students who have a life-threatening food allergy are required to have a physician complete a Special Diet Statement and turn it into the nurse.   Please call Julie Winkelman, district nurse, at 763-497-6520 for more information.

    Can my child bring a bag lunch to school?
    Yes!  Students can bring a lunch from home or purchase one at school.  Students can also purchase milk (white or chocolate) separately.  Students are encouraged to bring healthy lunches if they are bringing one from home.

    Does my child have a snack break?
    All students have a daily snack and milk break.  White milk is provided daily by the school district for kindergartners.  Students are encouraged to bring a healthy snack such as crackers, fruits, or vegetables.

    Where do I get a copy of the school lunch menu?
    Lunch menus are posted on our school website under School Menus.

    Can I eat a hot lunch with my child?
    Yes!  We enjoy having guests!  If you plan on coming to eat a hot lunch with your child, please notify the school before 8:00 AM the day of the visit at 763-497-2688.