The current ice arena is equally owned by the school district and the Cities of St. Michael and Albertville. The ice arena is utilized by the district's high school boys and girls hockey teams as well as STMA youth hockey.
Ice Arena Projects
The ice arena projects include:
- A second sheet of ice parallel to the existing sheet of ice
- Varsity locker rooms for girls and boys varsity teams
- Additional locker rooms for tournament use
- Toilets, sinks, and showers to serve locker rooms
- A meeting room for team and community use
- Elevated lobby to maximize spectator viewing space
- Parking to accommodate 220 spots (117 spots at the current arena)
- Spectator seating for 720 (existing rink has 400)
- Standing room for 180 in the arena
- Standing or sitting room for 50 spectators in the lobby
- Standing or sitting room for 50 in the community room
- Amenities including concessions and restrooms
- Heated and accessible viewing options
See videos on progress on the ice arena below:
Construction Date: October 1, 2017 to November 2018
Information about the soil correction that was completed on both the Ice Arena and All-Purpose Facility.
Soil borings indicated that fill had been placed previously, and there was no record of compaction of the fill at the time it was placed. This is considered “uncontrolled fill.” In order to ensure that the facilities do not experience unexpected settlement, the fill that had previously been placed was re-excavated and put back in place with proper compaction methods and then tested. There was not any “contaminated soil.” There were some areas that had buried soils with high organic content (topsoil). These organic soils were removed from the site and replaced with imported material that meets the specifications for fill material.