Alternate School Attendance
All STMA students, including open enrolled students, are automatically assigned to the school that serves their home address. The Alternate School Attendance (School Board Policy 552) allows families to apply for a transfer to an alternate school provided qualifying conditions are met and the parent/guardian provides or arranges transportation.
Alternate School Attendance is subject to available space and limited to ensure enrollment balance among schools. Placement is not guaranteed. One application per student per school year will be accepted.
Once a student is accepted for an alternate school transfer in elementary school, s/he must return to his/her attendance area for the middle school level. However, the student may once again apply for alternate school attendance, if the family meets the eligibility requirements.
Families who move during the school year into a different STMA school boundary must complete the Alternate School Attendance Form.
If a student moves out of the district and wishes to remain in the school district, an open enrollment form must be completed.
See below for further information on submission.
Students are eligible to apply for ASA if one of the qualifying conditions below is met.
- Parent/guardian is deployed for a military assignment and requests to have a child continue to attend the current neighborhood school.
- Parent/guardian moves from the assigned boundary attendance area where the child is attending school and requests to have a child continue to attend the current neighborhood school.
- Parent/guardian requests to have a child in first through fifth grade attend an alternative assigned school because childcare is located in another attendance area.
- Parent/guardian is an employee of the school district and requests to have a child attend a school where the employee is employed.
- Siblings of students who are assigned to an alternative attendance school because of educational programs.
ASA applications are accepted November 1 through February 10. Parents/guardians will receive a letter or e-mail from the superintendent’s administrative assistant noting receipt of the application and outlining the procedure and timeline.
For applications submitted prior to the February 10 deadline, parents/guardians will be notified of decisions in writing by April 1. Parents/guardians must confirm commitment and provide the completed childcare verification form when applicable by April 15. The transfer will be revoked if the commitment response and childcare verification form are not postmarked or confirmed by email to the superintendent’s administrative assistant by April 15.
Applications received on or after February 11, will be reviewed on an individual basis after staffing has been determined. These applications will be date stamped and prioritized in the order they are received and the eligibility criteria have been verified. Parents/guardians must confirm commitment and provide the completed childcare verification form when applicable by the stated deadline or the transfer will be revoked. A letter or e-mail will be sent to parents who submit on February 11 or later noting receipt of the application and outlining the procedure and timeline.
If a student’s attendance boundary area changes during the school year because a family moves from one attendance area to another, the student will be permitted to stay at his/her elementary or middle school for the remainder of the school year provided parents/guardians provide or arrange transportation. Parents/guardians must complete the Alternate School Attendance Application for the student to continue attending the alternate school.
Steps to Apply for ASA
- Complete the ASA form and send to Shannon Foreman in the district office via USPS, e-mail, fax, or drop off in person.
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 763-497-6588
- USPS/In-Person: 11343 50th Street NE Albertville 55301 (enter via door A)
- Parents/guardians will receive a letter or e-mail from the enrollment coordinator, Shannon Foreman, noting receipt of the application and outlining the procedure and timeline.
- If approved and childcare is located within the same attendance boundary of the school, contact Don's Bus Company to arrange for transportation.
When the number of available spaces at the requested school is less than the number of requests, applicants will be chosen by random selection with preference assigned in the following order:
- Siblings of a student whose parents/guardians are residents of the district.
- Siblings of a student whose parents/guardians are non-residents of the district.
- Students of resident parents/guardians who are employees of the district.
- Student of non-resident parents/guardians who are employees of the district.
- Students of resident parents/guardians whose childcare is located in another attendance area.
- Student of non-resident parents/guardians whose child care is located in another attendance area.
Parents/guardians are responsible for transporting students to and from the alternate attendance school. Transfers may be revoked for tardies due to transportation.
Transportation will be provided if the student attends childcare located within the same attendance boundary of the school in which the student is assigned. If ASA based on childcare is accepted, parents must contact Don's Bus Company to arrange for transportation.
For additional information, please contact Shannon Foreman at 763-497-3180 or email@example.com