Community Service Opportunities - in the Daily Announcements
STMA High School Community Service Mission Statement:
To encourage and enhance student involvement in the community and develop a desire to help others while growing as an individual and a productive member of society.
STMA Graduation Requirement
To earn a diploma from St. Michael-Albertville High School, a student must complete a total of 4 community service hours through a minimum of two different activities for each year in attendance. This totals 16 service hours through a minimum of eight activities for a standard freshman-to-senior high school career. Students who do not complete this requirement by the end of their senior year will not receive a diploma. Note the following guidelines:
- Total of 4 (four) hours per year earned through 2 (two) activities for each year in attendance.
- No more than 3 (three) hours will be granted to any 1 (one) activity.
- Activity is defined as an acceptable service that is done on one day.
- You cannot break one four-hour period on the same day into two different activities.
- Students cannot earn more hours to “work ahead”, but can catch up for lost hours if fallen behind.
Community Service Defined:
Work done for others that is not for pay and not for a class grade. The goal of community service is to improve the community in which you live or another community that might need help.
- Community activities not for pay or a class grade
- Community activities through school clubs, organizations, or church groups
- Service in any community, even outside of the STMA school district
- Non-Family individual assistance, such as babysitting, moving, painting, cleaning
- Fundraisers assisting community groups
- Assisting a family member/relative
- Assisting teachers, janitors or other school personnel in regular duties
- Court-ordered community service hours
- Activities related to a business for profit, or student/adult place of employment
Earning Community Service Hours:
Students’ homeroom advisors will approve acceptable community service activity hours. If a student has questions as to whether an activity is acceptable, he/she should consult the homeroom advisor for pre-approval.
If you have any questions see your Homeroom teacher or contact Joe Peatrowsky, Science Teacher.