Media Center Policies
- Be Respectful
- Be Responsible
- Be Safe
- Be Productive
Each trimester students will earn either an N (Needs Improvement) or an S (Secure) in each category. Categories are not cumlative.
Students will be graded in two basic categories:
- Class Participation
- Understanding of Basic Media Skills
Check Out Time Expectations
- All students will use a shelf marker
- Select library materials for check-out (books or magazines)
- Use walking feet
- Use indoor voices
Table Time Expectations
- 2 students at a table
- Use indoor voices
- Participate in a center activity
- Clean up your table before you leave
- Push in your chair
- Grades 1-3 may check out two books at a time. Magazines are also available and count as one book. No student may take more than one magazine at a time. They may keep non-fiction materials and magazines for one week and fiction books (chapter books) for up to three weeks. Students are expected to return library materials on time. There are no fines for overdue books, but the student may not check out any new materials until overdue items are returned or as a last resort.... paid for.
- Grade 4 may check out 3 books at a time for personal use and more if it is needed for classroom research. Magazines count as one book. No student may take more than magazine at a time. They may also keep non-fiction books and magazines for one week and fiction books (chapter books) for up to three weeks. There are no fines for overdue books, but the student cannot check out any new material until overdue items are returned or as a last resort.... paid for.
Students may return books early and check out new materials during the school day (AFTER morning announcements please) and during their scheduled weekly media time.
When a student checks out a book it is his/her responsibility to return the book in good condition. Fines will be charged for lost, damaged or stolen materials.
Students may renew a book up to two times unless it is needed by another student or staff member.