In Minnesota, students and their families/guardians have a wide range of meaningful school options beyond the traditional, neighborhood school.
Please read below for information on Open Enrollment and Homeschool Information.
The St. Michael-Albertville School District welcomes non-resident students through Minnesota’s Open Enrollment program. Over 1000 open-enrolled students from 17 different Minnesota school districts call STMA Schools home. We welcome them to our tradition of excellence and look forward to carrying out our mission of creating self-directed learners, purposeful thinkers, effective communicators, and responsible citizens.
Open Enrollment Timeline/Deadlines:
If you live outside St. Michael-Albertville Public Schools district boundaries, follow these steps to apply for open enrollment:
- January 15: Download and complete the open enrollment application form. Email, fax, drop-off, or mail to St. Michael-Albertville Schools, 11343 50th Street NE Albertville, MN 55301. The statewide application deadline for open enrollment is January 15.
- February 15: Look for communication on open enrollment approval/disapproval by February 15.
- March 1: After receiving approval of your application, you must complete and submit registration forms by March 1 to confirm your commitment to attend.
- Once a student is accepted as an open enrollment student, the student has the right to continue to attend STMA Schools through graduation, as long as the student maintains continuous enrollment.
Families that Apply for Open Enrollment after the January 15 Deadline
Deadlines do not apply if the one of the following conditions is met:
- The resident district has an approved Achievement and Integration Plan (see list on MDE website), in which case there is no deadline and enrollment may begin at any time after notification of acceptance. (Minn. Stat. � 124D.03, subd. 4)
- The family moved to the resident district on or later than December 1. (Minn. Stat. � 124D.03, subd. 7.)
If none of the above conditions apply, follow the process below.
- Parent/Guardian completes Open Enrollment Application.
- The district will send the resident district a Non-Resident Agreement (NRA). The resident district does not have to approve the NRA. If the NRA is approved by the resident district, the student can attend STMA Schools for the remainder of the year. Open enrollment begins the following school year.
To learn more about open enrollment at STMA see School Board Policy 509 - Enrollment of Nonresident Students.
For some families, homeschooling is the appropriate educational choice for their child.
- Homeschool Full Report* – Submit before October 1 of the first year of homeschooling within a resident district, or within 15 days of withdrawing a child from public school in order to homeschool.
- Letter of Intent to Continue Homeschooling*– Submit before October 1 of each year after the instructor has provided the same district with a Homeschool Full Report.
- Aids to Nonpublic Students, ED-01650-29 – Reimbursement for these materials and aid for services are available for nonpublic or home school students who have completed the Aids to Nonpublic Students (Form ED-01650-29). In order to be eligible, the form must be submitted before October 1.
Completed forms can be submitted to STMA Schools by the modes below.
- E-mail heathersr.k12.mn.us
- Send via USPS to STMA Schools ATTN: Home School 11343 50th Street NE Albertville, MN 55301
- Fax 763-497-6588.
*You do not have to use these documents; you can submit this information to the school district in a different format.