Alternate School Attendance FAQ
What is an Alternate School Attendance transfer?
An Alternate School Attendance transfer is used when resident families would like their 1st through 8th grade child to attend a school other than their neighborhood school for parents/guardians who meet qualifying conditions.
What are the Qualifying Conditions?
Parents/guardians may apply for an Alternate School Attendance transfer provided one of the following qualifying conditions is met and the parent/guardian provides or arranges transportation.
- Parent/guardian is deployed for a military assignment and requests to have a child continue to attend the current neighborhood school.
- Parent/guardian moves from the assigned boundary attendance area where the child is currently attending school and requests to have a child continue to attend the current neighborhood school. The move must have occurred for the application to be accepted.
- Parent/guardian requests to have a child in first through fifth grade attend an alternative assigned school because child care is located in another attendance area.
- Parent/guardian is an employee of the school district and requests to have a child attend school where the employee is employed.
How do I request an Alternate School Attendance transfer?
Families submit an Alternate School Attendance transfer request online. An online request system makes it easier for families to request a transfer and enables a school to more effectively manage enrollment and balance school and class sizes.
How will I know the Alternate School Attendance transfer request has been submitted?
Upon submitting the request, you should receive an email confirming receipt of your request. Please contact Heather Sroka or 763-497-3180 if you do not receive confirmation of your request.
What if I do not have access to the internet?
Please contact any school or the district office to make arrangements to use a school district computer to access the internet. You are welcome to use the computer at the District Office located at Middle School West (Door A), 11343 50th Street NE, Albertville (763) 497-3180.
When can I submit a transfer?
Transfer requests for students whose parent/guardian is actively deployed or for students who move from their assigned boundary can apply anytime during the current school year.
If a student’s attendance boundary area changes during the school year because of a family move from one attendance area to another, the student will be permitted to stay at his/her elementary or middle school for the remainder of the school year if provided parents/guardians provide or arrange for transportation.
All other transfer requests can be submitted during the application period of November 1 to February 10. Applications received after February 10 will be accepted and reviewed no earlier than June 15 and no later than August 10.
Who decides whether my transfer request is approved, and how is it decided?
Action on Alternate School Attendance Transfers will be determined upon economically and educationally sound staffing arrangements and enrollment capacity and class size. In approving or denying alternate school attendance transfer applications from parents/guardians, the Superintendent will take action based upon the following criteria:
- Student enrollment is below building capacity.
- Class size will be comparable to class sizes at the same grade level in other schools.
- Educational programs are available and within acceptable district caseloads to meet the student’s special educational needs i.e. identification for special education, Title I, and English Language services.
When will I know if my transfer request has been approved?
For applications received during the application period of November 1 to February 10, parents/guardians will be notified of decisions in writing by March 2. Parents/guardians must confirm commitment and provide the completed child care verification form when applicable by March 2. The transfer will be revoked if the commitment response and child care verification form are not postmarked or confirmed by email to the Superintendent’s Administrative Assistant by March 16.
Applications received after February 10 will be reviewed no earlier than June 15 and no later than August 10 and will be prioritized in the order they are received.
Do I need to reapply if my student is already attending a school on an Alternate School Attendance transfer?
No. All existing Alternate School Attendance transfers continue without any necessary paperwork. Once a transfer has been approved, the student continues from year to year until the last grade level at the elementary or middle school.
I do not live in the school district. Should I use the Alternate School Attendance transfer to request a school?
Yes and no. Non-residents who are not currently enrolled should use a different process to enroll in the district. Please click here for more information on student enrollment.
If you are a non-resident family and are already enrolled and attending school in the district, you should use the Alternate School Attendance transfer request form.
Are siblings guaranteed approval to an assigned school?
No. Siblings are not guaranteed approval to Alternate School Attendance under Policy 552.
If my transfer is approved, will the school district provide transportation for my child(ren)?
Parents/guardians are responsible for transporting students to and from the alternate attendance school. Transfers may be revoked for tardies and absences due to transportation.
Transportation will be provided for students in 1st through 5th grade if the student attends child care located within the same attendance area of the school in which the student is assigned.
Can Alternate School Attendance transfer be revoked?
Yes. Transfer may be revoked for the following reasons:
- Transfers may be revoked when the school board determines it is necessary to change school boundary areas. The school board may discontinue this policy on a temporary basis based upon economically and educationally sound staffing arrangements, enrollment capacity and class size or other factors as determined by the administration and school board.
- Transfers may be revoked if the parents/guardians/ choose to return a child(ren) to the school in the assigned boundary attendance area after notification to the principal of the child(ren)’s current school.
- Transfers may be revoked for tardies and absences due to transportation.
Is there an appeal process?
No. The Superintendent decision is final and appeals will not be heard by the board.