During the 2012-2013 school year, social studies will be on year four of the curriculum cycle.
During year one, the following occurred:
- Current K-12 social studies curriculum was mapped.
- To download a pdf file of the timeline of review items for 2009-2010, click here.
- Best practices and current trends in social studies were reviewed and discussed.
- A social studies benchmarking study was conducted.
- A district philosophy was drafted based on best practice/current trends and the STMA mission statement/strategic plan. To view the social studies district philosophy, click here.
- School stakeholders including parents, students, and staff were surveyed.
- National and state social studies academic standards were studied. To download a pdf file of the social studies standards, click here.
- New resources were examined and chosen.
To download a pdf file of elementary best practices in social studies, click here.
To download a pdf file of secondary best practices in social studies, click here.
To download a pdf file of the social studies curriculum adoption report, click here.
To download a copy of the STMA K-12 social studies "must have" skills, click here.
During year two, the focus was on writing curriculum that included course essential questions, units of instruction, unit essential questions, and common assessments for each course. In addition, teachers piloted resources. Resources were purchased for full implementation in fall 2007.
During year three, curriculum was field tested and revisions were made. Years four through six involve monitoring and making changes as needed.
Curriculum maps can be viewed by clicking on the class title below.
K Social Studies Map
Grade 1 Social Studies Map
Grade 2 Social Studies Map
Grade 3 Social Studies Map
Grade 4 Social Studies Map
Grade 5 Social Studies Map
Grade 6 Social Studies Map
Grade 7 Social Studies Map
Grade 8 Social Studies Map
World Geography A Map
World Geography B Map
US History Map
American Government Map
World History I Map
World History II Map
AP World History Map
American Wars Map
Greeks & Romans Map
AP Psychology Map
For more information, contact Dr. Ann-Marie Foucault, Director of Curriculum and Instruction, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 763-497-6524