During the 2012-2013 school year, language arts will be on year five of the curriculum cycle.
During year one, the following occurred:
- Current K-12 language arts curriculum was mapped.
- Best practices and current trends in language arts were reviewed and discussed.
- A district philosophy was adopted based on best practice/current trends and the STMA mission statement.
- School stakeholders including parents, students, and staff, were surveyed.
- A benchmarking study in language arts was conducted.
- Minnesota language arts academic standards were reviewed and "powered up."
- A balanced literacy graphic was drafted. To view the balance literacy graphic see below or click here.
- A district philosophy in language arts was drafted. To view the language arts district philosophy, click here.
- To see a timeline of review items for 2007-2008, please see attached.
- To view a copy of the district language arts curriculum adoption report, click here.
- To view a copy of the STMA language arts standards, click here.
- To view a copy of the K-12 novel list, click here.
- To view a copy of the elementary benchmark reading goals for grades k-4, click here.
- To download a pdf file of elementary best practices in language arts, click here.
- To download a pdf file of secondary best practices in English/language arts, click here.
- To download a copy of the STMA K-12 Writing Framework, click here.
- To download a copy of the STMA editing Tools, click here.
- To download a copy of the STMA high frequency word list, click here.
- To download a copy of the STMA K-12 language arts "must have"skills, click here.
Year two was the actual writing of the curriculum. In this phase, a curricular framework was established, essential questions were written, units were determined, unit essential questions were written ,and curriculum was mapped. Common assessments were also written and resources were piloted.
During year three, curriculum will be field tested and revisions will be made.
Years four through six involve monitoring and making changes as needed.
Curriculum maps can be viewed by clicking on the class title below.
For more information, contact Dr. Ann-Marie Foucault, Director of Curriculum and Instruction, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 763-497-6524